logo

John Woolley building

The University of Sydney, Camperdown, NSW

Belmadar was engaged to undertake a large mechanical upgrade to the heritage-listed John Woolley building, including the addition of a mechanical plant room and installation of air-conditioning throughout.

Designed by the Government Architects branch under Walter Liberty Vernon and built in 1908, the building was originally home to the science faculty but now houses the School of Literature, Art and Media.

As the first of a series of unusual and carefully crafted Federation Arts and Crafts-style structures for the Camperdown campus, its significant features include a curved externally protruding lecture theatre, chequerboard pattern gables and tapered chimney.


project details

fast facts


 completed
February 2019
  client
The University of Sydney
 contract type
Design & construct